Man dies from caffeine overdose

The caffeine powder was purchased online. (Shutterstock)

The caffeine powder was purchased online. (Shutterstock)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 4:53 PM ET

A 23-year-old British man died after ingesting two spoonfuls of caffeine powder that had the same potency as 70 cans of energy drinks.

An inquest over the April death of Michael Lee Bedford from Mansfield, in central England, was held on Friday where Bedford's friends said they saw him take "spoonfuls of white powder" that was given to him by a friend and wash it down with an energy drink at a party, reports the Nottingham Post. Fifteen minutes after taking the powder, "He was puking up blood and he was sweating really bad," said one friend.

The packet of caffeine powder was purchased online for $5.38 and instructed users to take no more than one sixteenth of a teaspoon.

"Caffeine is so freely available on the Internet...but it's so lethal if taken in the wrong dose and here we see the consequence," Coroner Dr. Nigel Chapman said at the inquest. "Who would take (one sixteenth of a teaspoon)? It's such a small dosage, the warning is so small on the front of it.

"If you're sharing a bag, carrying it around and if you hadn't seen the warning — it could be that anyone at the party could have taken it. It's so dangerous to take something like this."

Bedford's death has been ruled accidental.


Videos

Photos