June 16, 2012
Family finds worm in box of Kraft Dinner
By Patricia Blackburn, QMI Agency
A Montreal-area family was shocked when a worm emerged from their box of Kraft Dinner.
Nalini Marquez, a mom from Chateauguay, Que., said Friday she took a picture of the worm and called Kraft Canada to report the problem.
A few days later, Marquez received a letter from the mac and cheese maker with a cheque for $1 -- the value of the box of pasta.
"I felt like they were laughing at me," she said. "It's not much money for all the disgust that was created."
Marquez's 18-year-old daughter found the worm while pouring the noodles into a pot of water on June 7.
"I heard her scream in disgust," Marquez said. "Then I quickly ran to see what it was. There was a worm floating in the boiling water, and part of the package of noodles had been transformed into white powder. "
Kraft Canada spokeswoman Kathy Murphy said the company maintains high quality standards, though problems can arise during the production process.
"From the factory to the merchants' warehouses and the grocer's shelf to the consumer's cabinet, there may be several reasons how an insect could get into the box," she said.
"For small merchants, for example, the storage conditions are not always ideal," said Murphy, who also suggested Kraft might not even be responsible for the worm.
"We cannot verify the environment of each kitchen cabinet."
Regarding the $1 cheque, Murphy said Kraft's compensation policy is to reimburse an amount equivalent to the value of a product.
As for the Marquez family, their taste for Kraft Dinner isn't what it used to be, she said.
"(We won't) eat macaroni and cheese for the rest of our lives."