August 7, 2012
Microwaved underwear sparks apartment fire
By QMI Agency
"Stop pants fires," the Dorset Fire and Rescue Service tweeted on Monday after a U.K. man nearly burned down his apartment using his microwave as a clothes dryer.
Fire crews were called to the second-floor flat in the seaside town of Weymouth in the south of England, the BBC reports.
A spokeswoman told the news service the fire began after the resident of the flat tried to dry his socks and underwear in the microwave.
The man was rescued and the fire put out before it could cause serious damage.
The mishap led @DorsetFire to tweet the following fire safety poem, "Use your dryers, stop pants fires. Hang them on the line, when the weather is fine."