|The Park Plaza hotel in Bangkok, Thailand is pictured in this Google Street View image. A tourist who has been reported to be a Canadian citizen was found dead with an Australian man at the hotel. (Google/Handout/QMI Agency)
Canada's foreign affairs department has confirmed that a Canadian has died in Thailand after Thai media reported that the bodies of a Canadian man and an Australian man were found Friday night in a Bangkok hotel room.
The Bangkok Post identified the men as Angus Eric Campbell, 27, and Casamel Stephen, 31.
A spokeswoman for Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed to Australian Associated Press that she was aware a 27-year-old man from New South Wales had died and that she was aware a Canadian citizen was reported to be with him.
The men had been dead for between 12 and 24 hours when they were found in their room with "several bottles of alcohol and a white powder," leading police to suspect overdose, according to the report.
According to AAP, a maid at the Park Plaza hotel is understood to have found the bodies of the two men slumped in a room.
Their bodies have been sent for autopsy, and the white powder sent for analysis.
Stephen is not the first Canadian to meet with a deadly fate in the Southeast Asian country this year.
Two sisters from Quebec died in Thailand earlier this year in a suspected poisoning case. Staff on the resort island of Phi Phi found Audrey Belanger, 20, and Noemi Belanger, 25, dead in a hotel room in June.
Their father Carl initially told QMI Agency that autopsies revealed the girls had ingested the insecticide DEET, but then earlier this month said Thai police are covering up the real cause of their deaths.