A 12-year-old Florida boy who was stricken with a rare, brain-eating amoeba, died Sunday.
Zachary Reyna's family told CNN affiliate NBC2 that he was infected by Naegleria fowleri while kneeboarding with friends in a water-filled ditch by his house on Aug. 3.
""We said, ‘Oh, he just has a virus, he just has one of those 24 hour viruses," Reyna's brother told NBC2. "He slept all day all night and that's when my mom said, ‘OK something's not right.'"
"The battle is over for Zac but he won the war," a Facebook page dedicated to the boy read Sunday.
Earlier this summer, 12-year-old Kali Hardig was stricken with the same deadly parasite after becoming infected at an Arkansas water park.
According to the CDC website, Naegleria fowleri can cause a rare case of parasitic meningitis that is usually fatal. The parasite usually enters through the nose and is found in warm rivers, lakes and streams, primarily in the southern United States.
"It is exceedingly rare," said Dirk Haselow, an Arkansas state epidemiologist. "A sporadic case occurs one in 33 million."
Hardig recovered from her illness in early August. There were 31 cases of the infection in the United States from 2003 to 2012, the CDC reported.