Five months before Ryder Salmen died of an overdose caused by drugs in his mother's breast milk, hospital doctors found methadone in his blood and local child protective services began a report into his case, newly released documents show.
Salmen was eight months old when he died in September 2012. He died from a fatal overdose of Xanax, methadone and the painkiller Opana that he ingested through his mother's breast milk.
His mother, Sarah Ann Stephens, 32, was charged with murder and two counts of child endangerment, the Sacramento Bee reports.
But according to documents the Bee acquired under an access-to-information request, Stephens was warned to stop breastfeeding Ryder after a hospital visit in April 2012 for lethargy determined that Ryder had methadone in his system, the Bee reported this week.
After viewing the report from the April hospital visit, a social worker found Ryder at risk because he was a "drug-exposed infant," the Bee reported.
"A safety plan is required for the child to remain in the home," the assessment said.
The safety plan was completed but not released to the newspaper.