GAZA/JERUSALEM - Gazan authorities said Israeli forces shelled a shelter at a UN-run school on Thursday, killing at least 15 people as the Palestinian death toll in the conflict climbed over 750 and attempts at a truce remained elusive.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed his horror at the attack on the school at Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza strip. "Many have been killed - including women and children, as well as UN staff," he said in a statement. "Circumstances are still unclear. I strongly condemn this act."
The Israeli military said its troops were fighting gunmen from Hamas, which runs Gaza, in the area and that it was investigating the incident. A spokesman for the UN relief agency said it had tried in vain to arrange an evacuation of civilians from the school with the Israeli army, and noted reports of Hamas rockets falling in the area at the same time.
Pools of blood lay on the ground and on students' desks in the courtyard of the school near the apparent impact mark of the shell, according to a Reuters photographer at the scene.
Scores of crying families who had been living in the school ran with their children to a hospital where the victims were being treated a few hundred metres away. Laila Al-Shinbari, a woman who was at the school when it was shelled, told Reuters that families had gathered in the courtyard expecting to be evacuated shortly in a Red Cross convoy.
"All of us sat in one place when suddenly four shells landed on our heads ... Bodies were on the ground, (there was) blood and screams. My son is dead and all my relatives are wounded including my other kids," she wept.
Ashraf al-Qidra, spokesman for the Gaza Health Ministry, said that as well as the 15 dead, another 200 people had been wounded in the attack. The director of a local hospital said various medical centres around Beit Hanoun were receiving the wounded.
A Palestinian rescue worker reacts as he searches for victims under the rubble of a house east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip July 24, 2014. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
CLICK IMAGE TO OPEN IN NEW WINDOW
More than 140,000 Palestinians have fled 17 days of fighting between Israel and Gaza militants, many of them seeking shelter in buildings run by the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). Israeli forces are trying to stop militants from Hamas and their allies from firing rockets into its territory.
"It's clear that civilians are paying an unimaginable price caught between both sides," said UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness. "There are reports of Hamas rockets falling around Beit Hanoun at the same time. We were attempting to arrange a window for evacuation for the civilians with the Israeli army that never came. The consequences were deeply tragic."
Britain called on Gaza's rulers to accept a truce unconditionally. "Hamas must agree to a humanitarian ceasefire without pre-conditions," Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond told a news conference in Cairo as Egypt tries to mediate.
"Then... the Palestine Authority (and) Israel would come together for discussions to ensure a lasting and sustainable peace in Gaza so that we do not repeat this cycle of violence."
Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal said on Wednesday his fighters had made gains against Israel and voiced support for a humanitarian truce, but only if Israel eased restrictions on Gaza's 1.8 million people. Hamas wants next-door Egypt to open up its border with Gaza too.
The Palestinian death toll in Gaza reached 755 on Thursday, officials said. Israel has lost at least 32 soldiers in clashes inside Gaza and with Hamas raiders who have slipped across the fortified frontier in tunnels.
Palestinian rockets and mortar bombs have also killed three civilians in Israel. Such attacks surged last month as Israel cracked down on Hamas in the occupied West Bank, triggering the July 8 air and sea barrage on the Gaza Strip that escalated into an invasion a week ago.
With Washington's encouragement, and the involvement of Turkey and Hamas ally Qatar, Egypt has been trying to broker a limited humanitarian ceasefire for the battered enclave.
One Cairo official said on Wednesday it could take effect by the weekend, in time for the Eid al-Fitr festival next Monday or Tuesday, Islam's biggest annual celebration at the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
But a U.S. official described any truce by the weekend as unlikely, as did an Israeli security cabinet minister who said the army would need one to two weeks to complete its main mission of razing tunnels used by Hamas for cross-border raids.
"If the talk is of a humanitarian hiatus for - this is not pleasant to say - removing bodies, all kinds of things that are connected to the civilian population in the short-term, this might be weighed," the minister, Gilad Erdan, told Israel Radio.
"But I will oppose any ceasefire until it is clear both that the tunnels will be destroyed and what will happen in the post-ceasefire period - how we will guarantee that quiet for the residents of Israel will really be preserved in the long-term."
Israel earlier won a partial reprieve from the economic damage of the war with the lifting of a U.S. ban on commercial flights to Tel Aviv.
Though Israel's Iron Dome rocket interceptor has shot down most of the rockets fired from Gaza, one that came close to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport on Tuesday prompted the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to bar American flights there.
An ensuing wave of cancellations by foreign airlines sharply reduced traffic at Israel's usually bustling international gateway at the height of the summer tourist season. It was hailed as a victory by Hamas and prompted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to appeal to the Obama administration to intervene.
The FAA cancelled the ban late on Wednesday after reviewing the security situation. The European Air Safety Agency (EASA) said on Thursday it was about to follow suit and lift its own recommendation to avoid flying to Tel Aviv.
US Airways, a unit of American Airlines Group Inc, said it was resuming its non-stop Tel Aviv to Philadelphia service. Germany's Lufthansa said its suspension of flights to Tel Aviv would continue to Friday.
Gaza militants continued to fire rockets at Israel on Thursday, sending thousands in the country's south racing to shelters or safe rooms. There were no reported casualties.
UN COUNCIL INQUIRY
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said on Wednesday that there was "a strong possibility" that Israel was committing war crimes in Gaza, where medical officials say most of those killed were civilians.
Pillay also condemned indiscriminate Islamist rocket fire out of Gaza, and the UN Human Rights Council said it would launch an international inquiry into alleged violations.
A furious Netanyahu denounced the inquiry as a "travesty".
"The HRC should be launching an investigation into Hamas's decision to turn hospitals into military command centres, use schools as weapons depots and place missile batteries next to playgrounds, private homes and mosques," he said.
Ban, who has also been on a truce-seeking mission, lashed out earlier at Gaza militants, expressing "outrage and regret" that rockets had been found inside a UN school for refugees for the second time during the conflict.
He said storing rockets there "turned schools into potentially military targets, endangering the lives of innocent children", along with UN employees and the tens of thousands of sheltering Palestinians. He urged an investigation.
Gaza has been rocked by regular bouts of violence since Israel unilaterally pulled out of the territory in 2005.
ISRAEL SAYS IT DETAINS SCORES OF MILITANTS IN GAZA
Israel said on Thursday it had detained scores of Palestinians during fighting in the Gaza Strip, deeming them "murderers and terrorists" rather than prisoners of war.
Israel launched its offensive 17 days ago, aiming to stop militants from Hamas, which rules the coastal enclave, and their allies from firing rockets into its territory.
"Yesterday we detained some 150 people in Gaza for suspected involvement in terror activity and by now approximately half of them were released back to Gaza. The rest are being questioned," a military spokeswoman said.
The Palestinian death toll rose on Thursday to 729, most of whom were civilians, Gazan authorities said. At least 32 Israeli soldiers have been killed along with three civilians who died in rocket attacks on Israel.
Asked about the status of the Gazans in Israeli custody, senior Defence Ministry official Amos Gilad said: "These are not prisoners of war. These are detainees. These are not people who are recognised under international treaties. They are murderers and terrorists."
"We are taking them, addressing the immediate needs for helping the objective, which is to improve the efficiency of the security-military operation," he told Israel Radio, referring to interrogations meant to yield intelligence about Hamas.
Pictures of one group of men being held by Israeli soldiers were published on the Israeli news website Walla. In one photograph, a few dozen detainees were blindfolded wearing blue suits, in others they were stripped to their underwear.
It was unclear who took the pictures, which seemed to be amateur in style, or where or when they were taken. Asked about the photographs, another military spokeswoman said: "To the best of my knowledge, these pictures weren't staged."
An Israeli soldier stands next to Palestinians captured during a military offensive in the Gaza Strip in this July 23, 2014 handout photo obtained by Reuters. REUTERS/Walla News/Handout via Reuters
CLICK IMAGE TO OPEN IN NEW WINDOW
Qadoura Fares, chairman of the Palestinian Prisoner Club, said that the posting of the pictures was an attempt by Israel "to cover up for the failure and disappointment within the Israeli army and to give an impression to the Israeli community the army is making achievements".
"These are not images of fighters in the battlefield, these are images of civilians," he said.
On Thursday, the Gaza health ministry said Israeli army forces operating in the town of Khuzaa in the southern Gaza Strip stopped ambulances and detained five of the wounded who were being driven to hospitals.
AIR CANADA TO RESUME FLIGHTS TO TEL AVIV
Air Canada plans to resume flights to Tel Aviv Thursday, the airline says.
"This decision is based on our own assessment and that of regulators of the situation and in consultation with others in the airline community," spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said in an e-mail.
"The safety of our passengers and crew is our first priority and we will continue to monitor developments very closely."
The first flight is scheduled for 6:10 p.m. ET.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration lifted its ban on flights by American operators to Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport late Wednesday.
Several airlines cancelled flights to Tel Aviv after a rocket strike there Tuesday.
US Airways said it was resuming its non-stop Tel Aviv to Philadelphia service, Reuters reported. Germany's Lufthansa said flights to Tel Aviv would continue to be suspended until Friday.